High Box Jumps
- Stand in front of a sturdy bench, box or other flat non slip surface that’s high enough that you must use that you have to use a lot of effort in order to jump up on top of it.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend your knees as if crouching or performing a squat.
- In an explosive movement, push through your feet to jump up onto the landing area.
- Make a soft landing by bending your knees as your feet touch down.You should land on both feet simultaneously.
- Step down and repeat.
If you have difficulty landing in a balanced way, the platform may be too high. A variation for advanced athletes is to jump down backwards from the box. Only try this once you have mastered the basic form.
Related exercises to discover
High box jumps is a gym work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and also involves abs and calves. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Walking high kicks / soldier march, squats to side leg raises/lifts and water bottle squat thrusters are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as high box jumps. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.