- With your feet shoulder-width apart, bend down from the knees, driving the hips back and keep your back flat.
- Grab a barbell with an overhand grip that is shoulder width apart.
- Push off the floor while simultaneously lifting the barbell upward, keeping it close to your body.
- Explosively, pull the barbell up and push it above your head as you allow your hips to dip back towards the ground.
- Stand up to finish the movement.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell snatch is a gym work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and also involves abs and biceps and chest and hamstrings and shoulders and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Alternating curtsy lunge, leg press / machine squat press and leg press / machine squat press are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell snatch. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.