Standing Dumbbell / Kettlebell Side Bends
- Stand straight, your feet shoulder width apart, while holding a dumbbell in your left hand with your palm facing in to your body.
- Place your right hand on your waist, palm facing in. This is the start position.
- Keeping your back and head straight, bend only from your waist to the right. Inhale as you bend.
- Continue as far as possible, then hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position, exhaling as you do so.
- Repeat the movement this time bending to the left and returning to the start position.
- Complete all repetitions holding the dumbbell with your left hand before changing hands.
This exercise can be performed with a kettlebell or a plate weight.
Related exercises to discover
Standing dumbbell / kettlebell side bends is a gym work out exercise that targets obliques and also involves abs. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Upward cable wood chops, bicycles / elbow-to-knee crunches / cross-body crunches and downward cable wood chops are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as standing dumbbell / kettlebell side bends. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.