- Lie on your side on an exercise mat.
- Fully extend your legs with one resting on top of the other.
- Fully extend the top arm down the side of your body.
- Bend the arm at floor level to 90 degrees. Your upper arm should be parallel to your body, while your forearm is at 90 degrees. This is the start position.
- Lift your body off the ground and balance on your forearm and the side of your foot, while keeping your body in a straight line.
- Contract your abdominal muscles and relax your shoulders.
- Continue breathing throughout the whole exercise.
- Hold this position for as long as you can.
- Relax and change sides.
Related exercises to discover
Side plank is a gym work out exercise that targets obliques and also involves abs. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Lunge twists, windshield wipers and weighted russian / mason twists are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as side plank. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.