Push-ups / Pushups
- Get into position by placing your hands flat on the floor, directly below your shoulders.
- Extend your legs out behind you, with only your toes and balls of your feet touching the floor.
- Hold your body up and keep your back straight by tightening your abdominal muscles.
- Your neck and head should be bent slightly back.
- Lower your chest towards the ground by bending your elbows until your chest is just above the ground or you feel a stretching of your chest and shoulders. Hold for a count of one.
- Press upwards from your chest and shoulders, straightening your arms as you return to the starting position. Hold for a count of one.
Related exercises to discover
Push-ups / pushups is a at-home work out exercise that targets chest and also involves abs and shoulders and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. One arm side push ups, single arm chest press and standing cable crossover press / flyes are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as push-ups / pushups. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.