Barbell Push and Press
- Stand with feet hip width apart and grasp a barbell with an overhand grip.
- Make sure your hands are placed slightly wider than shoulder-width.
- Bring the bar to chest height and slightly retract your head back.
- Bend the knees, hips and ankles to dip slightly.
- Use your legs to explosively drive your body upwards and drive the barbell off your shoulders, extending your arms overhead.
- Lower the bar to your shoulders and repeat.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell push and press is a gym work out exercise that targets shoulders and also involves abs and glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Barbell high pulls, upright kettlebell front rows and face pull / rear delt pull are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell push and press. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.