Barbell Shoulder Press / Overhead Press
- Place a bench with a back support inside a squat rack and set up a barbell at a height that is just above your head.
- Grip the barbell with an overhand grip.
- Space your hands out so that your elbows are bent at 90 degrees.
- Lift the bar to around shoulder level by extending your arms. This is the start position.
- Inhaling, lower the bar to your shoulders slowly.
- Hold for a count of one while squeezing your shoulder muscles.
- Push the barbell back to the start position as you exhaling as you do so..
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
This exercise can also be performed standing.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell shoulder press / overhead press is a gym work out exercise that targets shoulders and also involves abs and triceps and upper back & lower traps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Rear delt machine flyes, crab walks and water bottle squat clean and presses are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell shoulder press / overhead press. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.