Jumping Jacks / Star Jumps
- Stand with your feet together, arms fully extended with your hands by your sides. This is the start position.
- Bend your knees slightly then straighten and push through the balls of your feet while straightening your your knees to jump up spreading your legs to wider than hip width apart.
- As you do so, raise both arms out and up in a smooth arc until your hands meet above your head.
- As you return to the ground, bring your feet together and your hands back to your sides with your arms fully extended.
- Continue without pause for the desired amount of time or repetitions.
This exercise can be performed as a timed exercise, completing as many reps as possible in a set time or, in sets with a fixed number of repetitions per set. To increase intensity, bend your arms slightly as you raise them to engage your biceps and triceps and squeezing them during each rep.
Related exercises to discover
Jumping jacks / star jumps is a at-home work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and also involves abs and calves and hamstrings and shoulders. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Dumbbell squat clean and press, side to side jump squats and overhead dumbbell squats are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as jumping jacks / star jumps. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.