- Stand over a dumbbell with your feet placed slightly wider than hip width apart either side of the dumbbell.
- Squat down and take a firm grip of the dumbbell; ensure that your shoulders are positioned upright, keeping your back straight and eyes straight ahead.
- Explosively lift the dumbbell by extending your hips from the squatting position and allow the dumbbell to travel along upward and close to your body.
- As the dumbbell reaches your hip level, shrug your lifting shoulder and pull the dumbbell upwards keeping the same line of trajectory if viewed from the side.
- Bending your working elbow and allowing the dumbbell to extend overhead, slightly squat your body below so that your position is semi-squatted with your working arm fully extended above your head.
- Maintaining a solid grip on the now overhead dumbbell, drive your feet into the floor and rise upwards from the semi-squatting position to complete the lift.
Related exercises to discover
Dumbbell snatch is a gym work out exercise that targets upper back & lower traps and also involves glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Medicine ball slams, reverse cable flyes / crossovers and crab toe touches are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as dumbbell snatch. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.