- Stand with your feet hip width apart. Your toes should be pointing straight ahead or only slightly outward.
- Cross your arms in front of your body, place your hands behind your head (prisoner squat) or at the sides of your head.
- Keep your weight on your heels and bend your knees while lowering your hips towards the ground as if you are sitting down on a chair.
- Keep your back straight at all times.
- Continue until you feel a slight stretch in your quadriceps. Pause for a count of one. Do not let your knees extend out beyond the level of your toes.
- Return to the start position by pushing down through your heels and extending your hips forward until you are standing straight. Repeat.
Related exercises to discover
Bodyweight squats is a gym work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and also involves abs and calves and hamstrings. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Trx suspension straps overhead squats, overhead plate squats and stability / swiss / exercise ball squats are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as bodyweight squats. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.