- Set up a barbell in a rack at shoulder height.
- In front of the rack, place an aerobic or exercise step on the floor.
- Position yourself under the barbell so it is resting across your shoulder. Not on your neck.
- Stand up straight to lift the barbell from the rack and walk forward to the step.
- Place one foot on the step and push down through your heel while straightening your leg to lift yourself up onto the step and place your other foot flat on the step.Hold fora count of one.
- Step down with the opposite leg to the one you started the movement with.
- Repeat all the repetitions of the set for your chosen lead leg befor changing to the other.
For novices or people with balance problems, this exercise can be performed using only body weight or dumbbells until you are confident and your strength has increased. You can also perform this movement by alternating between legs.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell step-ups is a gym work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and also involves abs and calves. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Single leg swiss ball hips raises / leg curls, barbell squats and dumbbell chops are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell step-ups. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.