- Stand over a barbell with the balls of your feet placed under the loaded bar slightly wider than hip width apart.
- Squat down and take hold of the bar with a very wide grip; ensure that your shoulders are positioned above the barbell, keeping your back straight and eyes straight ahead.
- Explosively lift the bar by extending your hips from the squatting position and allow the bar to travel along the front of your legs.
- As the bar reaches your hip level, shrug your shoulders and pull the barbell upwards keeping the same line of trajectory if viewed from the side.
- Bending your elbows and allowing the bar to extend overhead, squat your body below the bar so that your position is squatted with your arms fully extended above your head.
- Maintaining a solid grip on the now overhead bar, drive your feet into the floor and rise upwards from the squatting position to complete the lift.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell snatch is a gym work out exercise that targets glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps and upper back & lower traps and also involves shoulders. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Lunge / front kicks, boxing with a punching bag and squats to side leg raises/lifts are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell snatch. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.