Barbell Good Morning
- Using a squat or barbell rack, set the barbell at shoulder height.
- Position yourself so the barbell is resting on your shoulders and you are facing away from the rack.
- Stand up to lift the barbell clear of the rack and take a few steps away from the rack.
- Position your feet slightly less than shoulder width apart.
- Keep your legs straight and bend forward at the hips.
- Continue bending forward until you feel a mild stretch in your hamstrings. (Do not try to bend past the mild stretching sensation. As flexibility increases so does the range of motion.) Hold for a count of one.
- Return to the starting position by straightening from the hips. Repeat.
Start with lower weights when performing this exercise for the first few times to allow your body to adapt to the movement. This exercise can also be done with your knees slightly bent to emphasize use of your glutes.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell good morning is a gym work out exercise that targets lower back and also involves abs and glutes & hip flexors and hamstrings. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Rack pulls, dumbbell incline bench rows and cat back / backward camel stretch are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell good morning. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.