Seated Barbell Military Press
- Set up a barbell on a weight rack, so that it is at the same height as your shoulders when seated.
- Position a flat bench with your back facing the barbell.
- Keeping your back straight, take the barbell from the rack using on overhand grip, with your hands wider than shoulder width apart. They should be wide enough that your elbows are bent at 90 degrees at the low position.
- Lift the bar up and slightly over your head by pushing up and locking your arms. This is the start position.
- Inhale and slowly lower the bar down to shoulder level in a straight line. Hold for a count ofone while squeezing your triceps and shoulder muscles.
- Exhale and push the bar back up to the start position.
Related exercises to discover
Seated barbell military press is a gym work out exercise that targets shoulders and upper back & lower traps and also involves abs and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Gymnastic ring support position, one arm kettlebell swings and your exercise (placeholder) are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as seated barbell military press. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.