Bent Over Barbell Rows
- Set up a barbell on the floor and stand facing it with your legs slightly wider than shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Bend forward at your waist and grip the barbell with an overhand grip.
- Keep your back straight and nearly parallel to the floor.
- Keep your head and neck straight. This is the start position.
- Without moving your torso, exhale and lift the barbell up towards you.
- Keep your elbows close in to your bodyand use your forearms to support the weight.
- At the top of the movement, hold for a count of one and sqyeeze your back muscles.
- Return to the start position inhaling as you do so.
If you suffer from lower back problems, this exercise is not recommended. Always keep your back straight throughout this exercise. This exercise can be performed using an underhand grip to engage the triceps also.
Related exercises to discover
Bent over barbell rows is a gym work out exercise that targets lower back and middle back / lats and also involves abs and biceps and forearms and upper back & lower traps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Crab toe touches, weighted pull-ups / pullups and monkey bars/climbing frame are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as bent over barbell rows. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.