Barbell Shoulder Shrugs
- Place your feet shoulder width apart and using an overhand grip at a little more than shoulder width, hold a barbell in front of you.
- Your arms should be fully extended towards the floor, palms facing in towards your thighs. This is the start position.
- Exhale and raise or shrug your shoulders up in a slow controlled movement. Do not use your biceps to assist in lifting the barbell.
- Continue as high as possible then hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position in a smooth movement, inhaling as you do so.
- Pause then repeat.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell shoulder shrugs is a gym work out exercise that targets neck & upper traps and also involves shoulders and upper back & lower traps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Cardio – swimming, seated / bent over rear delt raises and cable shrugs are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell shoulder shrugs. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.