- Set up a barbell on a rack at just below shoulder level.
- Step under the bar placing the back of your shoulders under it. Do not rest the bar on your neck.
- Grip the the bar using an overhand grip with your elbows bent to90 degrees or slightly more. Less of an angle means your hands are too close together which can cause instability of balance.
- Lift the barbell clear of the rack by pushing with your legs, while straightening your torso.
- Step away from the rack.
- Step forward with your right leg and squat down through your hips. Keep your back straight and be careful to maintain your balance. Inhale as you lower yourself.
- Continue lowering your body until your left knee is nearly touching the floor.
- Return to the start position b pushing through your heel,exhaling as you do so.
- Complete all the repetitions for one leg before switching.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell lunges is a gym work out exercise that targets quadriceps and also involves abs and calves and glutes & hip flexors and hamstrings. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Barbell hack squats, chair squats and barbell snatch are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell lunges. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.