How should I work out to target love handles / muffin top?
Which exercises should I do and how to schedule and structure my workouts?
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts have been shown to be the most effective at reducing the belly fat that is driving you crazy. Our popular Get Fit at Home and Slim, Lean & Strong (if you go to a gym) training programs are both are based on the highly effective HIIT workouts. If you are creating your own exercise program, the following guidelines will be helpful.
A good high intensity cardiovascular workout is made up of the following:
- 6-10 compound bodyweight-based exercises
- Perform them in rapid succession
- Once the last exercise is complete, take a 60 to 90 second break and begin again
- 2 to 3 sets for beginners
- 4 to 6 sets for advanced lifters
- Perform a HIIT program 2 to 3 times a week along with your normal strength training
The bodyweight-based exercises you should complete are:
This should be a supplementary workout to your normal strength training that you perform throughout the week. One way of structuring your workouts is:
Monday: Strength Training
Tuesday: High Intensity Cardio Training
Thursday: Strength Training
Friday: High Intensity Cardio Training
Sunday: High Intensity Cardio Training
As you progress, try mixing up what sessions you perform in a week. You may want to try doing one week of just strength training and the following week of just High Intensity Cardio Training. Be creative, keep it fresh, and don't give up.