Standing Dumbbell Overhead Shoulder Press
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand straight, with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Raise the dumbbells to head height by rotating your arms forward and up.
- Your triceps should be parallel to the floor and your elbows bent at 90 degrees. This is the start position.
- Keeping your back straight and using only your arms, extend through your shoulders and elbows to drive the dumbbells straight up, ehaling as you do so.
- As your arms reach the fully extended position, bring them in towards each other until the dumbbels touch lightly together.
- Hold for a count of one, while squeezing your shoulder muscles.
- In a controlled movement, return to the starting position, inhaling as you do so.
Related exercises to discover
Standing dumbbell overhead shoulder press is a gym work out exercise that targets shoulders and also involves abs and neck & upper traps and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Boxing with a punching bag, standing front shoulder plate / dumbbell / kettlebell raises and dual / two arm dumbbell front shoulder raises are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as standing dumbbell overhead shoulder press. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.