Rope Jumping / Jump rope / Skipping
- Hold one rope end in each hand out to your sides with the middle of the rope behind you.
- Keep the rope ends even with your hips.
- Rotate your wrists to swing the rope up over your head.
- As the rope swings down in front of and towards you, jump over the rope with both feet.
- Continue rotating your wrists to swing the rope behind you, back up over your head to repeat.
You can vary the speed, use one leg,alternating legs and even the direction you swing the rope in to increase your stamina and coordination.
Related exercises to discover
Rope jumping / jump rope / skipping is a gym work out exercise that targets calves and glutes & hip flexors and also involves abs and hamstrings and quadriceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Cable hip extensions, snap jumps and leg press machine calf raises are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as rope jumping / jump rope / skipping. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.