Hanging Leg Raises
- Grip a chin up or pull up bar with a firm overhand grip.
- Hang from the bar with your legs straight.
- Raise your legs by flexing your hips forward and bending your knees up towards your chest.
- Continue to raise your knees towards your chest by flexing your waist forward. Don’t swing your body to use momentum. Use your abdominals to pull your legs up.
- Return to the starting position, lowering your legs slowly until they are straight.
For added resistance you can wear a dip belt with weight suspended from.
Related exercises to discover
Hanging leg raises is a gym work out exercise that targets abs and also involves forearms and glutes & hip flexors. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Swiss ball leg lifts, stability / swiss / exercise ball rollout and battle rope squatting alternating waves are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as hanging leg raises. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.