Barbell Curls / Standing Biceps Curls
- Stand straight holding a barbell with an underhand grip, your hands shoulder width apart and your arms fully extended towards the floor.
- Keep your elbows close to your sides.Your palms should be facing away from you. This is the start position.
- Keeping your upper arms stationary, curl the barbell forward and up in a smooth arcing motion while exhaling. Only your forearms should move.
- Continue upwards until the bar is at shoulder level with your biceps fully contracted. Hold for a count of one while squeezing your biceps.
- Inhale as you return to the starting position.
This exercise can be performed using a cable station, with a straight bar attachment connected to the lower pulley.<em><strong> </strong></em>
Related exercises to discover
Barbell curls / standing biceps curls is a gym work out exercise that targets biceps and also involves forearms. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Battle rope side-to-side swings, static bicep curls and shadow boxing are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell curls / standing biceps curls. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.