Stretches spine and shoulders
Relieves gas and bloating
How to perform extended puppy
- Begin on all fours. Bring your wrists directly under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Slowly walk your hands forward with an exhale, keeping your hips over your knees. Sink your chest toward the floor and if possible, rest your forehead on the floor.
- Hold the pose and take slow, deep breaths.
- Walk your hands toward you with an inhale to return to all fours.
- Keep hips over knees
- Bring knees hip-width apart
- Bring hands shoulder-width apart
- Release chest toward floor
Modification: Place a folded blanket under your knees.
Avoid this pose if you have knee injury.
More yoga poses to discover
Extended Puppy (Uttana Shishosana in Sanskrit) is a beginner yoga pose that belongs to the forward bends and inversions categories. This asana targets shoulders and spine, and also involves abs and upper back & lower traps muscles. Extended puppy relieves gas and bloating; stretches spine and shoulders and also calms mind. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this posture correctly. Discover more yoga asanas and yogic breathing exercises in our free yoga pose directory – a visual resource for yoga teacher training students as well as practitioners of all levels. Finally, shop our best-selling Yoga Cards products!
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.