Bicycles / Elbow-to-Knee Crunches / Cross-body Crunches
- Lie flat on an exercise mat on the floor keeping your lower back straight with no arching of your spine and with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands lightly on the sides of your head.
- Curl your torso upwards so your shoulders are slightly raised off the floor..
- Raise your knees until your thighs are at a right angle to the floor and your calves are parallel to the floor. This is the start position.
- Slowly move your legs in a pedaling action as if you are riding a bicycle.
- As you do so, exhale and bring your opposing elbow close to each knee by crunching to one side. Left elbow to right knee. Right elbow to left knee.
- After each crunch, return to the start position inhaling as you do so.
- Without pausing, repeat the movement to the other side.
- Repeat without pausing for the desired number of repetitions to each side.
Do not use your hands to pull your head and neck up during this exercise. Doing so may cause injury. Concentrate on a slow rhythmic cycle from side to side with perfect form for each repetition.
Related exercises to discover
Bicycles / elbow-to-knee crunches / cross-body crunches is a at-home work out exercise that targets abs and obliques and also involves glutes & hip flexors and quadriceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Knee plank, battle rope double waves and barbell windshield wipers are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as bicycles / elbow-to-knee crunches / cross-body crunches. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.