Half Monkey / Half Split
Deeply stretches hamstrings and groins
Brings fresh blood to pelvic region
How to perform half monkey / half split
- Begin in Equestrian with your right leg back. Extend your left leg forward with an exhale and flex your foot.
- Support your weight on your fingertips. Energetically pull your left heel toward you.
- Bend forward with an exhale, keeping your head in line with your spine. Inch your foot forward as your flexibility allows.
- Hold the pose and take slow, deep breaths.
- Drag your front leg toward you with an inhale. Change sides.
- Energetically drag front heel toward you
- Flex front foot
- Keep head in line with spine
- Lengthen spine
Modification: Stay upright.
More yoga poses to discover
Half Monkey / Half Split (Ardha Hanumanasana in Sanskrit) is a beginner yoga pose that belongs to the forward bends and hip openers categories. This asana targets calves, glutes & hip flexors and hamstrings, and also involves knees and spine muscles. Half monkey / half split brings fresh blood to pelvic region; deeply stretches hamstrings and groins and also develops patience. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this posture correctly. Discover more yoga asanas and yogic breathing exercises in our free yoga pose directory – a visual resource for yoga teacher training students as well as practitioners of all levels. Finally, shop our best-selling Yoga Cards products!
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.