Builds spinal and back flexibility
Stimulates digestion and detoxification
Clears negative emotions
How to perform bharadvaja’s twist
- Sit with your legs stretched in front of you. Shift to your right and bend your knees, bringing your feet near your left hip. Rest your left ankle on arch of your right foot.
- Lengthen your spine with an inhale. Twist to the right with an exhale. Place your right fingertips on the floor behind you and tuck your left hand underneath and to the right of your right knee, palm on the floor. Wrap your right arm behind you and clasp your left upper arm.
- Lengthen with each inhalation and twist deeper with each exhalation, gazing over your right shoulder.
- Hold the pose and take slow, deep breaths.
- Slowly unwind with an exhale. Change sides.
- Draw shoulders away from ears
- Soften neck
- Buttocks on the floor
- Soften belly
Modification: Press the back of your left hand against your thigh instead of tucking it under. Keep your right fingertips on the floor.
Avoid this pose if you have knee or acute back injury.
More yoga poses to discover
Bharadvaja’s Twist (Bharadvajasana I in Sanskrit) is an intermediate yoga pose that belongs to the seated and twists categories. This asana targets lower back, middle back / lats and spine, and also involves glutes & hip flexors, knees, quadriceps and wrists muscles. Bharadvaja’s twist stimulates digestion and detoxification; builds spinal and back flexibility and also clears negative emotions. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this posture correctly. Discover more yoga asanas and yogic breathing exercises in our free yoga pose directory – a visual resource for yoga teacher training students as well as practitioners of all levels. Finally, shop our best-selling Yoga Cards products!
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.