Strengthens abdominal muscles
Increases metabolism, burns toxins
Promotes focus and tranquility
How to perform bellow’s breath
- Sit in a comfortable position. Lengthen your spine.
- Rest your hands on your knees. Close your eyes.
- Take a deep, exaggerated breath in, expanding your belly. Actively exhale with an equally exaggerated breath. Do not strain.
- Repeat this cycle for 10 breaths at a medium pace.
- Rest for a minute in Corpse.
- Lengthen spine
- Keep chin parallel to floor
- Expand belly with each inhalation
- Draw belly toward spine with each exhalation
- Relax shoulders
- Relax face
Avoid this exercise if you have high blood pressure. Stop immediately if you feel dizzy.
More yoga poses to discover
Bellow’s Breath (Bhastrika Pranayama in Sanskrit) is an intermediate yoga pose that belongs to the breathing exercises and seated categories. This asana targets abs and chest. Bellow’s breath increases metabolism, burns toxins; strengthens abdominal muscles and also promotes focus and tranquility. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this posture correctly. Discover more yoga asanas and yogic breathing exercises in our free yoga pose directory – a visual resource for yoga teacher training students as well as practitioners of all levels. Finally, shop our best-selling Yoga Cards products!
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.