What are the top exercises for toned and muscular arms and shoulders?
I want to have muscle definition without getting too bulky.
Achieving a defined look in your shoulders and arms requires a precise set of acute variables and a well-planned nutrition program. You can exercise every single day but if your diet is poor then your results will be minimal at best.
Some simple tips for your diet:
- Start your day with breakfast!
- Eat every 2 to 3 hours
- Eat a balance of your macros! Protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day
- Avoid processed sugar at all costs!
In regards to your training, the traditional method of low weight, or volume, and higher repetitions is ideal for most people. You will want to perform 3 to 5 sets per exercise, depending on your current experience and fitness level. If you're a beginner, start out with 3 sets and advance this number gradually to break through plateaus. Your defined repetition count is between 12 to 15. The sample program below features 5 great exercises and the defined sets and repetitions that you should follow. You can supplement this program with your current exercise regiment. Remember that it is not possible to "spot treat." In a given week, you should be exercising each muscle and not focusing on one particular area. You can do so with a full-body workout or an upper body and lower body split.
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions
- Diamond Push Up 3 sets until failure (do as many as you possibly can!)
- Barbell Bicep Curl 4 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions
- Upright Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions
- Triceps Pushdown 4 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions
You’ll find all of these exercises and more in our exercise section!