- Stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart and place your hands on your hips. This is the start position.
- Step forward with either leg in a long stride. Keep your other foot in place behind you.
- Bend your knees as you do this so your body is lowered towards the ground. Keep your back straight throughout the movement.
- Continue down until your front knee is just above the ground. (Your front leg should be bent 90 degrees at the knee)
- Hold for a count of one.
- Push down through your front heel and extend both knees to return to the start position.
- Pause then repeat with your other leg. When you have lunged with both legs, that is one repetition.
Try to keep your hands on your hips at all times, using your obliques to keep your balance.