- Place a dumbbell on each side of a flat bench.
- Place your right knee on the end of the bench.
- Bend your torso from the waist until your upper body is parallel to the floor, while placing your right hand on the bench in front of you for support.
- With your left hand, pick up the dumbbell with an overhand grip. The palm of your hand should be facing into you.
- Keep your lower back straight. This is the start position.
- Using your back muscles, pull the dumbbell straight up to the side of your chest, keeping your upper arm close to your side. Exhale as you do so.
- At the top of the movement, hold for a count of one and squeeze your back muscles.
- Return to the start position inhaling as you do so. Repeat.
- Complete all repetitions for one side before switching sides.
This exercise can be performed using a cable station, with a stirrup handle attached to either the high or low pulley.