- Sit on the end of a bench with your legs fully extended in front of you angled towards the floor slightly.
- Grip the sides of the bench for stability.
- Leaning back to about a 45-degree angle from the bench. This is the start position.
- Pull your knees in toward you at the same time moving your torso towards them. Make sure you exhale as you perform this part of the movement. Hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position by extending your legs out and relaxing your abdominal muscles. Breathe in as you do this. Pause and repeat.
This exercise can also be performed on the floor by placing your arms to the sides and raising your legs off the floor slightly. slightly over the floor. More advanced athletes can use a dumbbell between their feet or attach a pulley to them for added resistance.