Dumbbell Side Bend
Primary muscle group: Obliques
- Stand straight, your feet shoulder width apart, while holding a dumbbell in your left hand with your palm facing in to your body.
- Place your right hand on your waist, palm facing in. This is the start position.
- Keeping your back and head straight, bend only from your waist to the right. Inhale as you bend.
- Continue as far as possible, then hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position, exhaling as you do so.
- Repeat the movement this time bending to the left and returning to the start position.
- Complete all repetitions holding the dumbbell with your left hand before changing hands.
Note: This exercise can be performed seated on a bench or with a barbell.