Barbell Pullovers / Lying Chest Overhead Extensions
- Lie on a flat bench, holding a barbell on your chest with an overhand grip. (Your hands should be shoulder width apart)
- Get into starting position, raising the bar above your chest by extending your arms, but do NOT lock your elbows.
- Keeping your arms slightly bent, slower lower the weight in a smooth arc to a position behind your head by rotating your shoulders. (as if putting your hands in the air)
- Keep moving the barbell behind your head until you feel a slight stretch in your chest. Hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position in a smooth revers arc.
- Continue holding the weight above your chest, then repeat.
Related exercises to discover
Barbell pullovers / lying chest overhead extensions is a gym work out exercise that targets chest and upper back & lower traps and also involves abs and shoulders and triceps. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this exercise correctly. Incline medicine ball push ups, hammer strength machine / seated chest press and reverse cable flyes / crossovers are related exercise that target the same muscle groups as barbell pullovers / lying chest overhead extensions. Visit our directory for more exercises.
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.