Primary muscle group: Lower Back
Secondary: Abs, Calves, Forearms, Glutes & Hip Flexors, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Upper Back & Lower Traps
Equipment: Barbell / EZ-Bar
Warning: This exercise can be very dangerous if performed incorrectly. If you are a novice, only perform this exercise with an experienced trainer’s supervision.
- Place a barbell in a clear space on the floor. (Make sure there are no obstructions in your way.
- Stand facing the barbell with your legs about 4-6 inches from the bar.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.Your feet can be pointed straight ahead or turned outwards slightly.
- Squat down, keeping your back straight and grip the bar with an overhand grip at shoulder width.
- Keep your arms fully extended and stand up with the barbell.
- As you lift the barbell, your hips and shoulders should rise together and your back should be straight.
- As you reach the top of the lift and are standing straight, rotate your shoulders back slightly until you feel a slight stretch in them.
- Lower the barbell back to the floor in the same squatting motion you used to lift it.