Return to Exercise Guide
Barbell Bench Press / Chest Press
- Position yourself with your back down on a flat bench placing the hands up on the bar using an underhand grip slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- After taking a deep breath in, extend the elbows and lift the bar up off the rack until elbows are extended but not locked. Pause for a brief movement as you fully extend your breath.
- Lower the weight directly down to the chest as you breath inwards, keeping the movement pattern slow and steady.
- Once just above the chest, pause, and then press directly up again, exhaling your breath.
- Continue until all reps are completed and then re-rack the barbell.